||A Property of Whitfield-Murray Historical Society||HISTORY|
A Historic Home and Chenille-Tufting Museum in Dalton, Georgia
Hamilton House, an antebullum house in Dalton, Georgia is a chenille tufting museum. Its holdings include antiques, chenille bedspreads and tufting artifacts, and historical memorabilia including Civil War artifacts. Hamilton House is located in Dalton, Georgia, The Carpet Capital of the World. It is Dalton's oldest brick home. The original structure was built in 1840. Over the years, additions were made. A nearby carriage house was built and "Mr. Moody's porch" was added on in the late 1800's. During the Civil War, the home was used as a hospital and as a headquarters for the Kentucky Orphan Brigade. In addition to its importance as a historical structure, Hamilton House, the museum, features various rooms of interest to the historian and antiques buff. The front parlor, or Lesche room, was once the meeting place of one of the oldest women's study groups in America, and the oldest of those still active in Georgia ~ the Lesche Club. The dining room features memorabilia of Robert Loveman, a local songwriter, known for his composition of the well-known hymn, Leaning On The Everlasting Arms.
The upstairs section of the building houses the chenille tufting museum. Chenille brings back memories of the early days of Peacock Alley, also known as Bedspread Boulevard, Dalton's cottage chenille industry. There are many old cotton chenille spreads, comforters, robes, and other tufted items, both from the hand-tufting era and the later decades of machine tufting. Also on display are photographs of persons and businesses notable in the early years of the chenille industry, old publicity graphics and newspaper articles, and interesting old tufting paraphernalia, including early Singer sergers that were modified into multi-needle machines by amateur inventors. The cottage industry of chenille tufting grew into the carpet industry, and led to Dalton's nickname as The Carpet Capital of the World.
Hamilton House appeals to those interested in chenille tufting, folk crafting methods, cottage industry, and North Georgia history. It is particularly of interest to those who want to learn about the cottage tufting industry that lead to Dalton's prominence today as The Carpet Capital of the World. Hamilton House is currently in the process of being restored and is open for private tours, only. These may be easily through the Whitfield-Murray Historical Society. Hamilton House is located at 701 Chattanooga Avenue in Dalton, Georgia, next door to Whitfield-Murray Historical Society (the old Crown Gardens and Archives). As with all historic buildings and museums, Hamilton House is forever in need of funding and donations.
For More Information
Tours may be arranged by calling
Whitfield-Murray Historical Society
Back to text